Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hot Slow Roasted Pork, Mushroom and Mozarella Sandwiches


I have made this recipe three or four times now. Once was when my folks were visiting and I forgot to make the gravy. I wouldn't recommend not making the gravy, it leaves the sandwich kinda dry. I found this recipe on one of my favorite cooking websites and switched it up a bit to fit my tastes. Here is the original recipe if you want to try it out. And here is the way I like to make it:

Hot Slow Roasted Pork, Mushrooms and Mozarella

Pork
4 garlic cloves chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3-4 leaves of chopped fresh sage
Black pepper to taste
2 pork loins trimmed of fat

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Add
the garlic, olive oil, herbs and salt together in a small bowl. Using a sharp knife make 1-inch long, 2-inch deep slits all the way down each pork loin. Stuff the herb mixture into the slits and sprinkle the outside of the pork with salt and pepper. Place the pork in a roasting pan and place in oven preheated to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Roast until the thickest part registers 170 degrees Fahrenheit. This usually takes about an hour and a half. Let the pork rest for 30 minutes. Slice the pork and cover with foil.

Gravy
Spoon off the fat from juices and measure out 2 cups worth. If needed add water to juice to measure 2 cups. Stir 2 tablespoons of juices and cornstarch in small saucepan until cornstarch dissolves. Whisk in remaining juice and vinegar. Whisk over medium heat until sauce boils and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Mushrooms
One container of fresh mushrooms sliced (regular mushrooms or mini portabello mushrooms are both good)
1-2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add sliced mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are cooked to your taste and add salt and pepper to taste.

Any type of bread (I like to buy the big loaves of french bread in the bakery section of our grocery store)
1 1/2 pounds shredded mozzarella


Once the meat, gravy and mushrooms are ready pile it all on your favorite type of bread and enjoy.

I love this sandwich, especially with fresh herbs. It is so good!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! that does look yummy! I am going to have to fix that for dad as a late birthday dinner when he gets home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he will like it much better when you make it, since I forgot to make the gravy for it when I made it for him.

    ReplyDelete