Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Best Souvenir of the Summer


I wish I could take credit for this very simple, very fresh, very tasty salad. Alas all of the credit goes to Aunt Jill.

One of my favorite things about visiting family is there is always plenty of fresh homecooked food to eat. Aunt Jill made this salad one night when Dad was grilling for us. As always Dad did a great job on the grill, but this salad was my favorite. I helped her put it together and was amazed at how simple it was to make. Hopefully I remembered correctly what she did. Thanks Aunt Jill for making this for us.

This is the second time that I have made it since coming home. Everyone in the house loves it. Cait and I were at the store this weekend. She saw me buying the artichoke hearts and said "I hope you are making that salad again." So even the kid likes it, spinach and all. It makes a giant bowl, but one of the best things about it is that it is just as good the next day. I can't wait to take it to work for lunch tomorrow.

Aunt Jill's Pasta Salad.

1 1-lb box of orzo
1 10-oz bag of fresh spinach
pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
2 red bell peppers, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 jars marinated artichoke hearts
Feta
Salt and peper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon (optional - I can't remember if Jill used lemon or not, salad is good with or without)

  • Cook orzo according to box directions. Drain and rinse then allow to cool. Place pasta in a large bowl.
  • Chop spinach (I kind of try to slice it) and add to bowl with pasta. Add olives, peppers, onion and cherry tomatoes to bowl.
  • Drain artichoke hearts reserving juice. Slightly chop artichoke hearts and add to bowl.
  • Use artichoke juice as the dressing of the salad, using as much as your taste dictates. Add lemon juice if adding.
  • Toss all of the ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then top with crumbled feta cheese. It couldn't be easier

No comments:

Post a Comment