Friday, March 26, 2010

Racholee's Spaghetti Carbonara

Wench #2 here. So, as I was making dinner tonight, I thought this would be a good recipe to post on the blog. It is a recipe that I have adapted from good ole Martha Stewart's Great Food Fast cook book. I've made it more than a few times over the past two years and the whole famdamily loves it. Which really means something when you have the pickiest four year old - soon to be five year old son.

If that hasn't sold ya, it only takes about thirty minutes to make.
Racholee's Spaghetti Carbonara
Serves 4-6

1 package of bacon
Salt and pepper to taste (I like to use shallot pepper also)
1 pound of pasta (I used mini farfalle this time)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup of milk
1 cup or more of freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil, add some oil and salt (for the pasta). Begin cooking the bacon on a skillet until the bacon is nice and crisp. I like to get it really crisp because it tends to soften a little when added to the pasta.
My kitchen helpers frying up some bacon.

2. Once the water is boiling add the pasta and cook until al dente.
3. Meanwhile in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and shallot pepper. Set aside until pasta is al dente.
4. Drain the pasta. Return the pasta to the pan. Working quickly, add the egg mixture to the pasta. Add the bacon to the mixture and toss all to combine. Usually the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs. Although I have noticed that sometimes it is still a little runny after tossing it. When this happens I just throw the pot back on the stove on medium and let it cook for a few minutes.

I also like to throw in a few mushrooms with this meal sometimes.

Well, there ya have it, a really easy meal that everyone will love. As long as you're not a vegetarian.
Picky 4 year old boy approved!

3 comments:

  1. I have never been brave enough to make carbonara. The whole egg thing makes me nervous. But it looks really delicious, I may have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok ok we all know how I am about eggs. But I garenttee the egg cooks and this is oh so yummy! Mom made it tonight and boy was it good. Just dont let me look at the raw egg going in too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i just made this for dinner. mine was really good. Cait

    ReplyDelete