Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spicy Peanut Chicken

This is going to be a shocker to Wench #2 & #3. They made me promise to post something; I don’t think they believed I actually would. Up until now I’ve managed to avoid most social networking stuff. So they are going to be amazed that not only am I posting, but I am the first of the Wenches to post a recipe. Ha!

Living in rural middle America has it's perks. Great take-out is not one of them. We have tried the only take-out in town and was very disappointed. We almost never get take-out, since it doesn't seem worth it to drive 20 minutes to another town to get it and then drive 20 minutes to get home.

Tonight we had a great meal that was very easy to prepare. It has all of the great flavors of takeout and it can be prepared quicker then it would take us to go get it elsewhere. It was inspired by this recipe I saw prepared on TV. I made a few adjustments to accommodate what I had in the house and made it my own. Cait said it was as good as Global Noodle, which in our little family is pretty high praise. It also means that this sauce would also be great tossed with pasta and shrimp. Tonight we served it alongside fried rice.


(not a great picture, but not bad considering it was taken with my phone)

Spicy Peanut Chicken
Serves 4-6

Sauce:
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon Sriracha Hot Chili sauce (or to taste)
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Stir-fry:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ pounds boneless chicken, diced into 1-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper, diced into ½-inch pieces
3 carrots, julienned
1 teaspoon Sate seasoning, or your favorite curry powder (optional)
Salt and pepper
1 inch ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 bunch scallions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
½ cup peanuts

Stir together sauce ingredients and set to the side. Don’t worry about mixing thoroughly it will all come together when the heat is applied.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with Sate seasoning, salt and pepper. Add chicken to hot oil and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add bell peppers and carrots and stir-fry for 2 more minutes. Remove chicken and vegetables from pan.

Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Stir-fry garlic and ginger in pan for 15 seconds, and then add sauce ingredients to pan. Stir sauce to combine ingredients. Peanut butter will melt and thicken sauce. Add chestnuts and scallions to sauce and heat through for 1 minute. Add back chicken, peppers and carrots to pan. Add scallions and toss to coat in sauce. Serve over hot rice.

2 comments:

  1. I admit I had my doubts that you would post, but now all I can think of is making this dish for dinner tonight. It looks yummy! I think I try it with noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! you Go Leora!!!! :) Now if I can just get off my but huh. Work blokes me so I can pretty much gerantee I will only be on here on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete